The Fifty-Sixth Annual Session of the Asian-African Legal Consultative Organization (AALCO) was held in Nairobi, Kenya from 1st to 5th May 2017.
In this annual session, the representatives of Arbitration Centers under the auspices of AALCO (Tehran, Nairobi, Kuala Lumpur and Cairo) outlined the activities undertaken by their respective centers. In his presentation, Dr. Oveis Rezvanian, Director of TRAC, described the year 2016 as a successful and active year for TRAC, as there was a considerable increase in the number of TRAC’s both international and domestic arbitration cases.
Dr. Rezvanian further continued that several international conferences, seminars and training courses were organized or sponsored by TRAC during year 2016. He summarized these activities undertaken by TRAC as follow:
• Organizing the first meeting between the AALCO’s Regional Arbitration Centers in Tehran (April 27, 2016);
• Organizing the TRAC and the German Institution of Arbitration (DIS) joint event (March 15, 2016);
• Organizing the TRAC and the Swiss Chambers’ Arbitration Institution joint seminar (April 27, 2016);
• Organizing the TRAC and the Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC) joint seminar (November 9, 2016);
• Cooperating with Istanbul Arbitration Centre to engage in joint efforts by way of yearly conferences in Paris, Istanbul, and Tehran (The first conference was held in Paris on December 12, 2016. The next conferences are to be held in July and December 2017 in Tehran.);
• Organizing the first Iranian Commercial Arbitration Moot Court jointly with Arbitration Centre of Iran Chamber (2016);
• Offering several internship opportunities to young professionals (2016); and
• Supporting Iranian teams for participation in arbitration-related scholar activities, such as the VIS moot court, by providing useful information and recommendation as well as organizing a pre-moot in the Centre (2016).
During the session, a meeting was held among the Directors of Regional Arbitration Centers under the auspices of AALCO (Tehran, Nairobi, Kuala Lumpur and Cairo), in which, the Directors emphasized on more cooperation and coordination between the ALLCO’s Regional Arbitration Centers.
For more information about the fifty-sixth annual session of AALCO, please visit: http://www.aalco.int/scripts/list-posting.asp?recordid=490