|Address||Thouvenin Rechtsanwälte KLG, Klausstrasse 33, 8024 Zurich, Switzerland|
|Phone||(+41) 44 421 45 45|
|Fax||(+41) 44 421 45 00|
|Education||– 1971 University of Zurich, Master of Law (lic. iur.)|
– 1980 University of Zurich, J.D. (Dr. iur.)
– 2005 Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb)
|Bar Admission||– 1977 Admitted to the Bar of Zurich|
|Work Experience||– founded THOUVENIN rechtsanwälte together with André Thouvenin in 1983.|
– acted as chairman, sole arbitrator (party appointed and appointed by arbitration institutions), party-appointed arbitrator, counsel and co-counsel in over 160 international and national arbitrations under the rules of ICC, LCIA, UNCITRAL, CAS, Swiss Chambers’ Arbitration Institution, Vienna International Arbitral Centre, Zurich Chamber of Commerce, Slovak Arbitration Court and adhoc.
– Commercial Arbitration; disputes involving, amongst other, disputes on turn-key factories, shareholders agreements (amongst other re change of control, dead lock, transfer of shares and change of management), adjustment of purchase prices under M&A agreements, breakup of joint ventures, mining and oil exploitation (confirmed in the Court of the Queen’s Bench of New Brunswick, Canada), performance under franchise agreements and various aspects of performance and termination under distributorship agreements and agency agreements (such
as telecommunications, pharmaceutical, steel trading), disputes under partnership agreements, one of them dealing with res judicata, which was then confirmed by the Federal Supreme Court in its leading decision of 29 May 2015 in this field (BGE 141 III 229).
– Investment Treaty Arbitration: expropriation and discriminatory treatment in energy sector.
– Sport Arbitration: transfers of football players, disciplinary sanctions against football clubs and doping disciplinary offences of football players, representing FIFA officials in proceedings at the FIFA Adjudicatory Chamber, the FIFA Appeal Committee and CAS, as well as actions for annulment of arbitral awards at the Swiss Federal Supreme Court in Lausanne, in particular, BGE 138 III 122 of March 27, 2012, in the matter of Francelino da Silva Matuzalem vs FIFA, representing the player, in the first and so far only decision of the Federal Supreme Court, as of the enactment of the Private International Law Act (“PILA”) in 1989, annulling an international arbitral award rendered in Switzerland by CAS based on Art. 190 (2)(e) PILA for violation of substantive public policy.
For the above proceedings the laws of the following states were applied: Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Congo, Czech, England, France, Georgia, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, India,
Italia, Luxembourg, Norway, State of Ohio, Poland, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey and two cases under “ex aequo et bono”.
|Present Position||Founding Partner, THOUVENIN rechtsanwälte|
|Past positions||– 1982 Associate, Baker & McKenzie, New York|
– 1978 – 1981 Associate, Homburger Achermann Müller & Heini, Zurich
– 1976 – 1978 Associate, Meister & Stickelberger, Zurich
– 1975 – 1976 Assistant of a Judge at the District Court of Affoltern
|Publications||– Arbitration Newsletter Switzerland; comments on selected decisions of the Swiss Federal Supreme Court in Lausanne on actions for annulment of arbitral awards, started in|
2005 and on-going, published on www.thouvenin.com/news/arbitration
– “Lack of Transparency at CAS”Neue Zürcher Zeitung, June 8, 2016
– Arbitration in Switzerland: ad hoc notes; Co-author: Norair Babadjanian, Redstone
Chambers, Moscow, Russian Arbitration Association, October 2015
– «Ja» zu Schiedsgerichten” Neue Zürcher Zeitung, September 9, 2015
– “The Yukos-Award – Spectacular but not Special” Neue Zürcher Zeitung, August 12, 2014
– Revised IBA Rules on the Taking of Evidence and new Guidelines and new Recommendations – do we need all of this?
– “sans frontières”, SJ Berwin, Issue 10, September 20, 2010
– Accord Suisse-Libye, des questions en suspens, Le Temps, June 25, 2010
– Les clauses ambiguës de l’accord passé avec Tripoli, Le Temps, August 28, 2009
– Verfahrensrechtliches zum Schiedsvertrag der Schweiz mit Libyen Neue Zürcher Zeitung, S. 19, August 26, 2009
– Country Report on Switzerland, in PLC Cross-border Dispute Resolution Handbook, 2008/05, Volume 2: Arbitration
– Interim Measures in Arbitration, in International Arbitration and Mediation, Yorkhill Law, Publishing, 2007
– Swiss Federal Supreme Court: Waiver of Annulment and the Right to be Heard, IBA Arbitration Committee, Newsletter, August 2007
– Swiss Amendment to Private International Law Act expected soon, Global Arbitration, Review, Volume 1, Issue 5, 2006
– Der Anwalt im Verwaltungsrat: Welche Fähigkeiten sind besonders gefragt?Neue Zürcher Zeitung, S. 31, November 16, 2006
|Languages||German, English, French, Italian (read) and Spanish (read)|